CDPC Colentina Project co-financed by the European Fund of Regional Development. ...............

.

.

.

.

-

Beneficiary

          Colentina Clinical Hospital is located in Bucharest, second district on 19-21 Stefan cel Mare Street,  between Calea Dorobantilor and Obor.
 
        Colentina Clinical Hospital was founded in 1858 when Prince Scarlat Ghica decided to found the medical endowment called in that period "New Pantelimon." on a 8.73 ha of land, donated by Prince Grigore Ghica.
          The construction of the new hospital "New Pantelimon” or “Colentina” has started under the plan prepared by the architect M. Hartl and approved by Scarlat Grigore.Ghica, but in July 1859 it was discovered  that the used materials were of bad quality  and the works didn’t meet the adequate quality requirements. A committee suggests through  the report submitted on the 3th of August 1861,  the demolition of the works carried out and the drawing up of a new construction plan.   Given the new conditions, the works started again in 1862 for a single pavilion and were finalized at the end of 1863 . The building was inaugurated by Alexandru Ioan Cuza on February 24 at the anniversary of five years from the union of the Romanian Principalities.
          "The new Pantelimon" ensured the medical and surgical services for patients, each having 50 beds and a free advice service.  Another two buildings were added to the initial pavilion which represented the personnel accommodations(housing). The Annual Health Service from 1864 specified for Colentina Hospital the number of beds and doctors who served it,  being listed together with all  the other renown units  : Coltea, Filantropia, Pantelimon Brancoveanu, Spitalul Izraelit, etc. 
          Gheorghe Marinescu is appointed on 1st of May 1897, chief physician of Pantelimon Hospital and in 1919 the Nerve Disease Clinic is transferred in Colentina Hospital also under the guidance of Prof. Dr. Gheorghe Marinescu. 
          It should be noted that in 1915 , Colentina Hospital started to build a modern clinic for the patients with neurological diseases, but the building was finished not till 1936 because of  the events of the First World War and the government indifference. 
          In 1951, following the reform and education needs of occupational diseases and poisoning (through the education reform from 1948, in the Faculty of Medicine it was established the department of labor hygiene and occupational diseases led by heads of works  Dr. Theodore Pascu and Dr. Dimitrie Nanu), Professor Doctor Gheorghe Dinischiotu organized in Bucur Hospital  the first section of occupational diseases in our country in the Center of Hygiene and Professional Diseases. In 1952 the department moved in Colentina Hospital.
          The activity for research and care for venereal diseases was carried out until the transfer from the dermatological clinic Coltea Hospital in Colentina Hospital ( in 1939), in the service of venereal disease in Colentina Hospital and led by lecturer Dr. Banciu Aristotle (1886 - 1938 ). This service disposed of professional laboratories and have a total number of 300 beds.
          The service of Clinical Orthopedics from Colentina Hospital was founded in 1951, with 105 beds and was led by Dr. Dimitri Pintilie, an exceptional specialist, innovator of equipments, instruments and operational techniques and a great trainer of specialized personnel.
          The construction of Medical Clinic on the former Medical Service place, led until 1926 by the distinguished internist Dr. Ion Urlateanu and then by Dr. I. Mamulea until 1935, is related to the names of Acad. Prof. Dr. N. Gh. Lupu, Romanian coryphaeus of internal medicine, creator of the first International Institute of Medicine in the country, in which were formed the majority of celebrities of internal medicine, academics, developers of medical school at their turn.
          Colentina Hospital is a medical facility with tradition, being one of the first hospitals built in Bucharest. The continuous development of the hospital was determined by the action of important figures of Romanian medicine that, along with patient care, they  trained new generations of doctors and developed  an intense medical research activity. Scientists of international stature such as Professor dr. Gheorghe Marinescu, Prof. Dr. Nicolae Gheorghe Lupu, Acad. Stefan George Nicolau accomplished in Colentina Clinical Hospital studies which characterize their scientific work. Currently there is an important core of researchers in the Hospital and elite cadre of the famous University  of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila" from Bucharest.
          For a more detailed description of the Colentina Clinical Hospital we suggest to visit the website of the beneficiary at the following address: www.spitalulcolentina.ro.

..